Wednesday, June 4, 2008

end of week 1


Cleveland.
Ohio.

That is where week one has left me.

i'm starting to get used to this lifestyle.  Drawing for food.  Camera in one's face.  a bunch of nutty brits as my companions.   Uncertainty about every day, and every night.  What is funny is that I'm more and more at ease with not knowing what is next.  I've had such luck, and been so fortunate with people's responses to the project, that I feel more present and at peace with my abilities to survive off art.  Help seems to come when I'm not expecting it.

-----------

Last of my blogs ended with the insanity of the Ride for Jesus motorcycle crew in State College PA.  I got to see Mike (the former bike gang member) speak the next day at David's church and it was quite moving.  then the 275 Harley's rolled up for their ride for jesus.
after that it was not all roses.

Things slowed down a bit as I had an _impossible_ time getting a ride out of State College.  after many hours waiting at the side of the road as a hitchhiker (with funny signs saying "ARTIST FOR HIRE..     PITTSBURGH, PORTRAIT FOR A RIDE" ), i gave up.  As a hitchhiker I had no luck.  zero.

next thought?  Bus.  bus to pittsburgh.  so i walk over to the bus station.  bus just left. the only bus in the afternoon.  Welcome to mass transit in the US.   I got a cheap motel, and hit the 6:15 am bus to Pitt.
After about 1 or 2 hours of delays, i reached pittsburgh around 1pm, and had one of the coolest experienced thus far.

Met up with sculptor Thaddeus Mosley.   He is 82 years old, and I swear he has more energy than i do.  An amazing amazing man. He picked me up from the Greyhound station, and we rolled to his neighborhood for lunch, and then a fantastic studio visit.   He knows Pittsburgh so well, knew all the jazz greats, and is still carving wood on a large scale at 82.   He delights in life-- his wonder and appreciation of the moment are inspirational.  my favorite quote of his, "I never made a living at art; I just lived it."   I did a nice portrait drawing of Thad, and he put me up for the night in his house (which is one of the coolest places i've ever seen.  top to bottom salon style paintings, photos, collages, sculptures. )

(See night photo of the crew with Thaddeus overlooking Pittsburgh.)

at dinner that night the waiter chris heard of my adventure and not only bought my dinner, but gave my 50 bucks for the train.  i made him a sketch in thanks.  unreal generosity everywhere.

After checking the impossible schedule for Amtrack, i went back to the bus terminal and bussed it to cleveland.

hope everyone is safe and sound
love
Kenny

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Kenny,
Congrats on your first week! Because of my involvement in TV I was very curious to see how this experiment/concept would play out. It is really phenomenal that you are already having such a successful journey. I had a feeling that you would discover that there are more people in this world that are willing to lend a hand rather than turn you away. It actually reinforces my faith in humanity. Good luck going forward and I can’t wait to see the final product!

Regards,
Kate Rogers (Danny’s Kate)

KathyH said...

Hi Kenny - What an amazing experience you are having. Being on the road teaches you how kind people really are and how much you can allow yourself to just "flow."
Happy Trails!
Kathy Harney

Java Jo said...

Hi Kenny,
I met your sound man Paul at Java Jo West in Millersburg & am fasinated with what you are doing! Wish I could have met you, if you come back to the area, please come out to Java Jo's in Berlin. You would have a great time drawing for tourists on Main St.!! Might be able to hook you up with an Amish meal & bed. Great blessings on your travels!! i will be watching for more posts!
www.javajocoffeebar.com
Jo